Not everyone considers driving 3,200 miles with the family a vacation but I had a blast. We just got back; the kids were good, saw the country, had fun and I worked most every morning. Working remotely allowed me to extend the trip while ending the quarter and staying in touch with my team.
At P&L our primary workflow tools are web-based, easy to access from almost anywhere and are mostly device agnostic. Here's a quick listing of what makes up my toolkit:
- Laptop - I used a Windows laptop with good processor, memory and storage. I also brought a power strip and threw in an external mouse and keyboard to make things a little easier for me.
- External Monitor - As this was a Griswold-style family vacation and we were driving, I packed an external monitor. If I had been flying I would have skipped this step, but it boosted my productivity and we had plenty of room.
- Wireless Headset - A comfortable, quality headset that connected to my laptop and phone helped me clearly hear and be heard on calls and online meetings.
- Skype for Business - I used this daily for audio calls, video calls, group meetings, desktop sharing / presentation and chat / messaging. It is integrated with my Outlook calendar and contacts, and worked without a hitch in and out of different wireless / network environments.
- Microsoft Office 365 - The productivity suite subscription installed on multiple devices - desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet - provides the ability to access and edit files in the browser.
- SharePoint - Our company team site hosts public and group files and allows collaboration, publishing and versioning.
- OneDrive - Access to my personal / private files online and synchronized across desktop and laptop storage. OneDrive made it easy to pick up wherever I left off independent of location or device.
When you have the opportunity to leave work behind please do so - we all need to unplug. When by design or out of necessity you combine work and play, it can help to have a good toolkit. Put together what you need and test it before heading out - you can stay connected, be productive and have fun.
If you'd like to discuss implementing or expanding a hybrid cloud solution call P&L at 800.698.1686 or email us, we’re happy to help.
wirtten by: Brian Edwards - 7/19/2016